Featherlite Fall Jamboree Wednesday Notebook – NEW Bonus Money Up For Grabs!deercreek
SPRING VALLEY, Minn. (Sept. 19) – Thousands of race fans and more than 150 of the nation’s elite open-wheel dirt modified drivers will make their annual pilgrimage to the Deer Creek Speedway next Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Sept. 20-22, for the 14th Annual Featherlite Fall Jamboree – the undisputed marquee event for America’s most talented Modified drivers on dirt.
• There’s always surprises when the USMTS visits the Deer Creek Speedway, and none bigger than this past July when about a dozen sponsors stepped forward on the eve of the World Modified Dirt Track Championship to kick in an additional $30,000 to the posted awards. The last-minute infusion by the greatest sponsors in dirt track racing has already begun for this year’s Featherlite Fall Jamboree as Randy & Patty Eastvold have announced an additional $1,000 for the top 5 in Saturday’s “A” Main ($200 each) plus a $5,000 bonus to any driver who can win two of the three main events this weekend. The Eastvolds sold Hanson Tire Service this past year, but have remained active supporters of the drivers and fans at the Deer Creek Speedway.
• There were a record 118 drivers that turned practice laps Wednesday night at ‘The Creek’ including 78 USMTS Modifieds and 40 USRA B-Mods. Kelly Shryock turned the quickest practice lap of the night at 16.190 seconds, although there were about a dozen drivers that did not have transponders on for the practice session. Randy Timms gets the Iron Man award at practice. He turned a total of 104 laps.
• Former winner and 2008 USMTS national champion Tim Donlinger was back behind the wheel for the first time since injuring his right hand in a Fourth of July accident. Driving the #65 driven by Tommy Myer for the past few months, Donlinger said he would “see how it feels” before making a decision to compete this weekend. Myer, on the other hand, practiced in the #6 machine of Nick Herrick.
• Steve Whiteaker Jr.’s 21-hour tow from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Spring Valley, Minn., ended about one hour into the practice session. “Something broke on the car and nosed it straight in the wall,” Whiteaker said. “Car is done. It will be hard to rebound from this one.” His Hughes Chassis suffered significant damage to the front end, but hopefully the 24-year-old who earned a coveted cowboy hat with a Limited Modified win last weekend at the Texas Motor Speedway can get his ride repaired or somebody will step forward to give him a seat in one of their cars.
• It’s harvest time for many farmers throughout the Midwest, and that may keep a few drivers home for the weekend. Brad Waits drove Mark Teske’s #41 during practice Wednesday as Teske is currently in the field at his farm. Former USMTS national champion Jason Krohn posted on his Facebook page that harvest time at his farm in Slayton, Minn., will keep him away for this year’s Featherlite Fall Jamboree.
• The entry list as of 9 p.m. Wednesday night was 111 USMTS Modifieds, which ties the 2004 total as the fourth-most ever for this event. If an additional six drivers compete over the weekend, the total would tie for the second most ever for the event. The record was set in 2003 with 137 drivers on hand that year.
• There are also 45 USRA B-Mods entered for this year’s event in their first appearance during the Featherlite Fall Jamboree. The list includes two drivers ranked among the top 10 in USRA B-Mod national points: Jacob Bleess (third) and Kylie Kath (sixth). USRA national points will be awarded each of the three nights. Four-time Featherlite Fall Jamboree feature winner Jerry Young is also entered. His previous wins came in the Wissota Midwest Mod division.
• Seven of the eleven former Featherlite Fall Jamboree champions are entered for this year’s event: Willy Kraft (2001), Mark Noble (2002), Kelly Shryock (2004), Dean Mahlstedt (2007), Tim Donlinger (2008), Jason Hughes (2005, ’09, ’10) and Terry Phillips (2011). One provisional will be awarded to a past champion that fails to qualify for Saturday’s “A” Main, and any past Saturday “A” Main winner gets a $1,000 bonus to win Saturday’s “A” Main.
• More USMTS main events have been staged at ‘The Creek’ than any other racetrack. Thursday’s Featherlite Fall Jamboree opener will be the 66th race here in the 14-year history of the United States Modified Touring Series and 33 different drivers have graced victory lane in the previous USMTS feature races at the Deer Creek Speedway.
With nearly $200,000 in posted awards for the annual event, this week’s blockbuster battle will see another stellar payoff for competitors with a whopping $15,000 to win over the course of three nights for the USMTS Modifieds. Fans, on the other hand, will witness a complete show featuring more than 300 laps of action each night.
The Deer Creek Speedway is a high-banked 3/8-mile clay oval which sits on 60 acres with one of America’s most popular state-of-the-art racing complexes and an adjoining campground.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ustmts and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS TITLE SPONSORS: Casey’s General Stores, Swan Energy.
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Awesome Race Suits, Cheetos, Dominator Race Products, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, New Vision Graphics, Nitroquest, RACEceiver, SLAP Energy, Snickers.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arbor Masters, Arnold Motor Supply, ASi Racewear, Beebe Heating & Air Conditioning, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Dirthead.com, DirtKnights.com, Erson Cams, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intensitee Custom Racewear, Mesilla Valley Transportation, O’Brien Enterprises, Olympic Fire Protection, Ramirez Motorsports, Road Runner Trucking, Ruter Farms, Sybesma Graphics, Yeager Machine.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AERO Race Wheels, AFCO Racing Products, Beyea Custom Headers, COMP Cams, CPD Racing Tools, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, Forty9Designs.com, Genesis Shocks, Hooker Harness, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Tiger Rear Ends